Charter High School Director - Principal
Community Prep School (CPS) is an accredited and financially stable alternative education campus (AEC) with an average enrollment of 300 to 350 students and serving approximately 450 students per year throughout the Colorado Springs Region. Opened as a Charter School in 1995, our focus is about helping students realize their full potential—personally, educationally, career-wise and for life.
Mission: To respect each individual, cultivate authentic passions and activate purposeful plans for life.
The Principal/Director facilitates programs and instructional practices based on analyses of student achievement data results in increased academic achievement for all students. Oversees staff, school functions and programs, building care, student activities and student culture and discipline. Develops a collaborative process to ensure compliance with district, state and federal educational policies and objectives.
Effective directors at Community Prep School (CPS) are responsible for the collective success at the school, including the learning growth and achievement of both students and staff. As the school’s primary instructional leader, effective directors enable critical discourse and data-driven reflection about curriculum, assessment, instruction, and student progress and create structures to facilitate improvement. Effective directors are adept at creating systems that maximize the utilization of resources and human capital, foster collaboration and encourage constructive change. By creating a common vision and articulating shared values, effective directors lead and manage CPS in a manner that supports the schools’ ability to promote equity and to continually improve its positive impact on students and families.
An ideal effective leader at CPS would embody:
- A personal mission to transform the lives of struggling youth.
- The heart of a counselor, the mind of an executive.
- An entrepreneurial mindset toward educational practices.
- Seeing the potential in people and situations and working toward creating that potential.
- Empowering leadership practices that bring out the best in what people have to offer.
- A culture of restoration of past indiscretions toward greater goals.
- Courage to create solutions that may be outside the norm.
- Valuing the relevance of learning outcomes across all subject areas.
Essential Job Functions:
Conducts the overall administration of school functions: Responsible for assessing needs, data collection, data analysis and designing programs to increase student achievement using a continuous improvement model. Develops and directs daily school administration, budgeting, discipline, staff development and is responsible for staff evaluations. Reports directly to the Community Prep School Board of Directors. Serves as the school’s liaison to the District 11 Charter School Office.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to provide avenues of success for all students.
- Demonstrated ability to provide visionary leadership, develop instructional goals, and conduct staff evaluations to increase student achievement and professional growth of all employees.
- Direct the implementation of the school discipline model.
- Support staff in curriculum and professional development and in coordinating and implementing special projects.
- Integrate technology into the instructional learning environment
- Maintain contact and collaborates with students, parents, and staff to ensure a safe and productive learning environment of continuous improvement.
- Counsel students, staff, and parents as needed and responds to student problems/crises.
- Oversee daily student and staff activities, classrooms, lunchroom, hallways, campus grounds, assemblies, and field trips.
- Represent school in outside activities, i.e. community groups, business partnerships.
- Manage school facilities and develops disaster safety, crisis and evacuation plans. Ensures a plan for building security is developed, reviewed and executed.
- Monitor budgets and allocates internal funds that are aligned with the priorities and school improvement plan as approved by the CPS Board of Directors.
- Oversees CPS Marketing.
- Maintain program efficiency and required state and district compliance records.
- Oversee the transition of Landmark Community School (LCS) to an independent charter. This includes ensuring the personnel and infrastructure is in place to support a quality education program.
- Master’s degree in education or related field.
- Valid School Principal License or in the process of completing licensure course work within 12 months of hiring.
- Classroom teaching and/or contractual administrative experience.
- Content expertise in multiple disciplines (e.g. math, science, social studies, special education)
- Experience working with high-risk students in an educational setting.
- Charter School Leadership experience.
The position begins July 1, 2018.
- Salary Range: $85,000—$95,000
- The work year is 224 days
- You will be an “at will” employee
- In addition to your salary, your benefits package includes
- 10 days of vacation/sick/personal time (VSA) per annum
- Group medical insurance (individual only)
- PERA employer contribution (in addition to employee contribution)
- You may also elect to participate, at your own expense, in several optional benefit programs including:
- Family medical insurance
- Dental and vision insurance
- Supplemental disability insurance and,
- A 401 (k) program
How to apply:
New applicants (including current CPS staff) must complete an online administrative application. A completed online application includes at least ten years of experience history and the following documents:
- A letter of application that states why you are qualified for this position and your background and experience leading to this position.
- A statement of philosophy of administration and the role of the administrator in an alternative educational setting.
- A current resume.
- Four current letters of recommendation—2 direct supervisors and 2 professional.
- Colorado Principal Administrative License or evidence of eligibility. “Evidence of eligibility” means license application with CDE is in process.
- Complete online application
- Verify Principal licensure and/or eligibility
- Letter of application with concise responses
- Statement of philosophy
- Current resume
- 4 current letters of recommendation (2 from a supervisor and 2 professional)